Pages

My Zimbio

Monday, January 17, 2011

Action Research as a Tool for Educators

I have been studying action research in my Masters of Educational Technology Leadership program. I am very excited about this useful tool and how I can implement it as an educator. Action research allows the educator to explore questions that the educator has about their own practice and how learning in their classroom could be improved, and provides the educator with the means to make changes based on what he or she learns. The educator starts by phrasing their question or wondering. He or she then collects data about their question and does a literature review of their topic. The data is analyzed, and based on the findings, the educator develops and implements a plan of action. The results of their research and action are shared with others and also studied for continuous improvement (Leading With Passion and Knowledge, Nancy Fichtman Dana, pp. 2-3).

Action research therefore becomes an essential tool for educators as a means for professional growth and development. It allows the educator to take ownership for improvement of their own best practices and provides a means by which the educator can share his or her success with cohorts. I am very excited about using this method in my own practice. I can see numerous benefits to the children under my care and to my school and district. If I am constantly reflecting on what is working and what is not; on how to increase learning and student performance on high stake testing, on how to reach students of all skill levels and interests and how to engage even the most uninvolved, my classroom will be a place where the students thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment